Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

A Music Video

My latest project, and first for entertainment, was a music video. I'm not really the type of person who enjoys singing and dancing, but I found this project pretty fun. The pre-production stuff wasn't really all that different from last semester, and making the storyboards worked well. We based the shots off of the original music video (mostly for the vocal, lip-syncing parts) and some of the meaning in the lyrics.

The filming was great, some of the most fun I've had in e-Comm. I got to film Jacob getting thrown against a locker and getting kicked, and got to climb up to the auditorium catwalk (which is like at least two stories above the ground) for the singing parts. And even though we did kind of mess around, we actually got good footage.

The video was also pretty cool to edit. I learned how to use a lot of effects, even going as far as to spend literally an hour testing all of them to see what they did. Some of them, such as the color filters and the stabilization, helped a lot to fix some of the shortcomings. The hardest part was probably matching the lip-syncing up to the song (which I totally didn't pirate), because I had the camera set to the wrong mic for the first few clips and it just recorded static. Thankfully, Jacob's exaggerated motions gave me some idea where it was in the song.

Overall, this was a pretty good video. I wish we could've gotten more cinematic shots, but the song, as well as the time, kind of limited what we could do. The story, especially, could've been better. There were only like four shots explaining the story, and even though I thought those were good, everything could've been explained better. Also, some shots in the vocal section before the guitar solo were a bit long.

No comments:

Post a Comment