Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Marching Band Feature Story

On the News, there are two types of stories: Hard News and Feature stories. Feature stories focus on a specific person, event, or group, and are usually only a couple minutes. For my first feature, I interviewed two Marching Band students about all the commitments that go into marching. I wanted to do Marching Band myself, but my schedule didn't allow it, so I went to see what all they did.

This was my first project where I had to shoot B-Roll, and it went okay... The conditions while I was shooting weren't very good; it had just rained, the band was just practicing marching, not playing, and I had to use my own camera, as the school cameras were all checked out. Even though, I got all the shots I needed, and in a good quality. Looking back, the shot variance wasn't all that good, but I couldn't get too close to the band.



The interviews went well, though; much better than the last project. In my opinion, the questions, audio, and video quality were all improved (which is strange, as I wasn't using a video camera or an external mic). However, the lighting on Miles was not great, and the placement wasn't good, either. The guys I interviewed also gave some great answers, showing the idea I was trying to prove. After I imported the clips into Premiere, I used the skills I had learned on the last interview, plus a few new ones, to make a story I'm pretty proud of. J and L edits were one such skill, which I tried to use as much as I could, but I didn't really have enough footage to do more. Some of the bits, such as the "At Ease" at the end might be a bit cheesy, but I thought it sounded cool. When I put the B-Roll in, I did realize that a few of my shots were shaky or out of focus, but I ended up having enough for the whole video. Overall, though,  this is one of my better projects, and I'm already seeing improvement from earlier in the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment