Pages

Monday, October 31, 2016

Learning Maya

Earlier last week, I started using Maya for 3-D models, and I'm really liking it so far. Previously, I made a few models in Sketchup, but I feel like Maya will allow me to do much more, especially when we get into the animating characters. My first project was just an intro, testing out all of the polygon tools to make some shapes.


After that, though, I started making a castle. I made the walls and towers with extensive use of the Boolean tools, and also "cut out" a door, but then I added a few things to make the castle look better. First, as the central area was pretty plain, I made a little building in the center, making another door and some windows into it. Then I added some color to the towers. This was hard in some places, as I had already duplicated my towers, meaning I couldn't edit the top individually. However, with a bit more time, I was able to recolor the spires with the Face view. Later on, I learned how to add textures, making the walls look like stone and the flags look like cloth. Although a few things didn't turn out perfectly, this was a good starter for Maya, and I'm looking forward to making better things later.

No comments:

Post a Comment