Pages

Monday, October 19, 2015

Social Media in College Applications

Summary:

The article "They loved your GPA, then they saw your Tweets" shows some bad things that can happen when students don't think about what they're posting on Twitter or another social media like that. It gives multiple stories of people who got rejected from colleges because they posted something bad on a social media. The article also shows where the world is going with using posts in college applications and how it will be in a few years.

Surprising Information:

Lots of things in the article surprised me, including some misconceptions and stuff I just didn't know. One thing that I was unaware of is that one in three colleges has turned someone down because of social media. That's actually a pretty large amount compared to other factors that may affect some one. Another thing that surprised me was that sometimes, counselors or even other students tell colleges about a student's posts. These facts were surprising because I didn't know how big of a deal social media is in college and job applications and what impact it has.

Confusing Information:

A few things in the article confused me as well. Besides some words I didn't know right away, one of the only things that I questioned was the idea that colleges may not inform a student that social media was affecting their application. This confused me because I would want to know the reason I was rejected, especially if I had a good GPA.

Conclusion:

The information I read did not impact my views of social media because I've heard most of the information multiple times to the point where it's become common sense to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment